Friday, September 22, 2017

The worst piece of travel advice ever

My single least favorite piece of travel advice: Pack in layers.

Seriously, people, how is this helpful? That's the same as saying, at best: "oh, you didn't bother to check the weather report? No worries, here's how you deal with it: just pack everything you own so you have ALL the options!" Or, at worst, "just pack a few of each layer so that if the weather reports are wrong, you'll be stuck wearing the same smelly t-shirt four times in a row because you don't have time to do lots of loads of laundry and you only packed two shirts because you also packed ALL THE OTHER LAYERS."

I'm not picky about being pristine when I travel, but I do like having the clothing layer closest to my skin be as fresh as can be. I'll pack more t-shirts than I probably need to pack, because I would rather have a fresh shirt but re-wear the same sweater or vest over and over again than I would rather wear all repeat clothing day after day.

In my real life, a pair of jeans can easily last me a week. In my travel life, though, I walk for miles each day, and weather is unpredictable, and sometimes you get gross. And it's nice to have something fresh or at least close to it to put on so you feel like yourself. Because you're already out of your comfort zone a little when you travel, no matter how much you love it. Why throw in awkward sartorial choices, too?

As I pack for my upcoming trip, I'm considering how to pack so I have options without being gross. I will probably pack at least one more pair of pants than I need, and probably a few extra shirts. This is despite having laundry facilities at the place where I'll be staying. I'm fine with this. I'll probably do one load of laundry while I'm there and that's about it because, really, who wants to do lots of laundry when they're on vacation?

As for layers, yes, I'll have a few things available to account for changes in weather, but not so many that I'll be mixing and matching the same four items day after day, because, ew. Instead, I'll likely have those extra pants and shirts but I'll also have one light jacket, one cardigan, one v-neck sweater, and perhaps a fleece vest. Those outer layers are what I'll bring few of but will have on hand to adjust the rest of my wardrobe.

No comments:

Post a Comment