Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Portland in the rain

I seem to only visit Portland, Maine when it’s raining. On my recent visit, it was flat-out pouring. My friend T and I persevered. No rain was stopping us. We spent two hours driving the route that normally took an hour and a half, overpaid for parking, and set out to get wet. 

With my new pirate friend.

We wandered in and out of cute boutiques. We walked down to the water and took a few pictures. We marveled at the historic feel of the town and our mutual love of all things nautical. We enjoyed art in several galleries, and ogled the handcrafted pieces of glass blown by artisans at Simon Pearce.
When it was time to warm up, we stepped into a distillery for a tasting. We enjoyed samples of rum, gin, and vermouth. My personal favorite was the gin that had a light blueberry finish. I enjoyed the rum so much that I bought a bottle, even though I generally don’t think much of rum one way or the other.
After leaving our purchases in the car, we wandered in search of lobster rolls but were distracted by Duckfat, a place with poutine on the menu. Poutine is just the thing when you’re wet and cold and dreary of body but not of mind. It was an hour wait. We didn’t care. We took the proffered pager, wandered into a nearby bakery that had racks and racks of pies along with signs that said, “Please do not touch the pies.” All day long, people walk in there and start rummaging amongst the pies. 
The poutine was as good as expected. Duckfat is tiny, and they
Outside of Duckfat
make a few things and make them well. I enjoyed my French fries cooked in duck fat and topped with cheese curds and a fried duck egg, washed down with lemon blueberry soda. Heaven. 
The drive home was worse than the drive there. The rain was a straight downpour at one point. We pulled off the highway and stopped at McDonald’s. I hadn’t eaten at a McDonald’s in years. I had my old favorite: a caramel sundae with nuts. That, plus the respite, plus the lovely day that was behind us and the lovely company in front of me made that sundae taste almost as good as the poutine.

Almost.

No comments:

Post a Comment