Saturday, May 27, 2017

Maine is a little weird

I decided to get out and about today, and was inspired by a friend's recommendation of the best Nordstrom Rack being just an hour and a half away, in Portland, ME. We don't have a Nordstrom in New Hampshire. At all. In the entire state. So while the Rack is not the full-on retail store, I figured that could be a fun destination around which to build a day trip.

I head towards Portland, and stopped at the rest stop in Kennebunk for a quick pit stop, though got sucked in to the Popeye's chicken. I tried to resist, but couldn't do it. While I standing in line, I couldn't help but notice how bizarrely different each person was around me. Everyone seemed perfectly nice, but there was a refreshing lack of homogeny that we just don't see in New Hampsha.

Onward to the Rack where I was largely disappointed. I tried on a whole bunch of stuff and nothing was quite right. I ended up leaving with two pairs of Smart Wool socks (if you haven't tried these socks, do your feet a favor and get some), and a replacement moisturizer, since they had the only I like for travel at half off.

So, my time wasn't totally wasted, but yeesh.

Onward from there to downtown Portland. Note to self: be sure to plan future visits to Portland so that I arrive earlier in the day, as everything closes at 6pm, even on Saturdays. 

Well, not everything. Bars and restaurants stay open later, but I really wasn't in the mood for jello shots, thank you very much.

I arrived downtown at 6:10, too late to try to enjoy the gin distillery tasting room or shop at Simon Pearce. I did get in a very nice evening walk, though I didn't take too many pictures. It was chillier than expected, and while I remembered to bring a light jacket, it wasn't enough to be comfortable, so I kept my hands mostly in my pockets. Additional note to self: remember that it is generally ten degrees cooler in Portland or on the sea coast than it is in southern New Hampsha.



2 comments:

  1. I love all your "note to selves." Travel gets us out of our comfort zone, for sure. I can tell you are enjoying the delight of just observing. This is calming for the reader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete