Friday, September 2, 2016

Hello, 4am!

I haven't gotten up at 4am in a long time. I did today because I took advantage of living two miles from the airport and booked a 5:30am flight. Normally, I hate the very early flights because you have to get up so early you end exhausted all day, which cancels out any jump on the day you got by the early departure. But since I could leave my house st 4:20 and be standing at my gate by 4:45 (thanks, TSA pre check!) giving me ample time to use the rest room, buy a bottle of water, and write this blog post before boarding even starts, I figured I would do it. 

People are either much friendlier or much grumpier at this hour. Random strangers offer a cheerful "good morning!" As they walk by on their way alongside you to the terminal. People move through security with a zombie-like demeanor. I overhear chatter about needing a nap later by others waiting at the gate. We're all in this together at 4am! 

When I bought a bottle of water, the checkout guy was very cheerful. "Good morning, young lady, how are you?" I said I am fabulous, I said. I grabbed my water and headed to the checkout. He glanced down and said, "young lady, those are some funky shoes." 

I said "thank you!" I just bought these shoes to replace a beloved pair that finally started falling apart, after a good ten years or so. (Keens. Check them out.) 

He rang me up and said "young lady with the funky shoes, you have safe travels and a wonderful holiday weekend." 

Thank you, kind sir. I certainly will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment