Thursday, December 17, 2015

Enjoy Every Day

People always say they would like to do this more, or that more, but then complain about their boring lives and how nothing ever changes. Folks, the universal truth is this: you have to make things happen for yourself. Decide what is important to you, and do it. 

Years ago, my dad got word that his cancer was terminal. I didn't know what to say. I asked if there was anything I could do. "Well," he said, "enjoy every day." I have heard those words in my head and in my heart every day since. A lifelong smoker, my dad had finally quit smoking several years before getting sick. He used the money he saved from buying cigarettes to buy a a really nice road bike, and he started taking bike rides on evenings after work, and on the weekends. He began preparing his own meals, healthy things like lentil soup. He started doing everything right. He still got sick. He still died young.

When he was dying, my dad told me about some of the things he had planned to do once he retired. On his list: conduct his own, personal comparison of world religions; travel to Italy; cure me of my tomato "phobia." He regretted putting off these pursuits. 

It took me some years between then and now to really internalize the life lesson, but I know now how important it is not to put off doing the things that matter most.

It helps greatly when one of your important pursuits is travel, and you find a friend with a similar love for and commitment to making trips happen, not to mention a similar mindset as to budget and type of travel experience. But regardless, I am not waiting any longer to make travel a priority.

I have my dad to thank for that. 


2 comments:

  1. I can help with your phobia of tomatoes!!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete