Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Where I need to be

My recent trip to Italy was for two weeks, which was glorious. My friend C got to stay for a month. I was jealous. After I left, she spent her mornings happily wandering with her camera and then spent her afternoons and evenings at her computer, working East Coast hours. This made for somewhat upside-down days, but it got her a month in Florence, so who's complaining?

Leading up to the trip, I really thought that re-entry into my regular life would be hard. I had prepared myself for being a bit depressed, as my regular life involves a desk job, lots of meetings, being indoors all day, and then going home to a comfortable apartment yet one that is in an area where cars are a necessity for everything.

To my surprise and relief, that is not how I felt at all. In fact, coming back to work felt even better than before because no matter regular life threw my way, I had just spent two weeks in Italy.

Coming back to a crazy-busy inbox? I just spent two weeks in Italy, so I don't care.

Covering for a coworker while odd situations happen in his area? I got to go to Italy. Bring it on.

Having to drive to get to every single stinking thing I might want or need? At least I had two weeks of wandering in Italy.


Likewise, while I thought I would feel even more jealous of my friend who got to stay, I was happy that she was still there. I enjoyed living vicariously through her. I actually felt a bit more sad when she came back than when I did.

I mentioned this to my friend Tim, and mentioned how perplexed I was by this. "Well," he said
thoughtfully, "as long as she was still there, you were, too."

He was right. Every time C posted a new photo, I could think, I was there.

I understood the cultural references. I was happy she got to eat the food.

Pondering this, I decided to get outside this past weekend and enjoy some of the renowned New England Fall weather. I did have to drive to get to talk my walk, but I didn't go very far. There is a lake only about ten minutes' drive from where I live, and it's an easy spot to go when I have a hankering for the out of doors.

Just as I pulled in to a parking space, I was startled by a shadow overhead. I looked up. There was a bald eagle circling the sky right over my car. He came close. He was gorgeous.

I had never seen a bald eagle that closely before (in the wild). It was magnificent and startling at the same time. I jumped out of my car and grabbed my phone in the hopes of getting a picture. The bird did not disappoint. He spent several minutes swooping and soaring right over the shoreline of the lake. After probably five full minutes of staring at the sky, I looked around. The lake area was crowded with people, and we were all doing the same thing: watching this bird. It was as if time had stopped. We stood there, transfixed.

After the bird went on his way, I grabbed my water bottle and my apple, and set off on the trail. I was happy, even if I wasn't in Florence. There are many things about the European life that I much prefer to American life, but the eagle swooping down for a quick visit reminded me that, for now, I am exactly where I need to be.

2 comments: