Sunday, May 22, 2016

Volunteering


I knew I needed a new activity in my new town, and I wanted that activity to be a volunteer activity. I specifically looked for opportunities at a nature or wildlife center, so that I could have a volunteer experience that is the exact opposite of the desk job that I have. 

I found a place about a 45 minute drive from home, where I could greet visitors and help with the exhibit room in the welcome center, plus assist at the touch tank, handling horseshoe crabs and clams. Perfect!

Today was my first shift. I wasn't sure what to think at first. I was worried I would feel a little bored. Then, I met two volunteers doing some gardening out front. They are a husband and wife team and are recently retired. The wife, Sue, was my new best friend right away and invited me to join the adult kayak tours she leads on the Bay during the summer. Yay!

Inside, I was allowed to be fairly autonomous. I shadowed an experienced volunteer who was just a delightful lady. She's a retired nurse, and has been volunteering there for 20+ years. She was as nice and as welcoming as can be. 

Once guests started coming in, I knew I would really have a good time, because they were just all so friendly, in true New Hampshire style. I can certainly see volunteering once or twice a month for the season and then next spring going back or picking someplace new. 

Getting out of my comfort zone and finding this opportunity really helped me to see a bit more of my new new home state, to put me in a position to learn about the natural areas of my new home state, and hopefully might lead to meeting some more nice people and maybe, one day, making a friend outside of work. 


No comments:

Post a Comment